Friday, September 5, 2008

EIGHT YEARS AGO TODAY...

Sorry friends - this blog is going to be a heavier one than usual. And sorry ahead of time Christine if I make you cry!

Eight years ago today I was in a life changing car accident. This wasn't just a fender-bender - it was a 'Dr. saying to my family & me "How did she survive this?"' kind of accident. (God, of course - although I didn't believe it at the time) I was driving in my little Geo Metro down Hazelgreen Rd. at 50 MPH - no I wasn't speeding & I wasn't drunk! My cell phone rang & reached down to get it & swerved off & hit a tree head on. God was in control of the whole situation from the beginning & everything turned out for a purpose. My ankle was dislocated so bad it actually ripped through my skin. (Sorry, if you have a weak stomach!) I hit my mouth on the steering wheel & lost 2 teeth. There were no airbags so I was pretty beat up. I was taken to my small town hospital & they were ready to amputate my foot but thought I had internal & spinal injuries so they life flighted me to OHSU in Portland, OR. It is one of the best. I got up there & didn't have the injuries they thought & was seen by one of the best orthopedic surgeons who was able to save my foot. I was in Doernbechers Children's Hospital for a week. It was a long recovery - over a year. I had 13 surgeries - some minor, some major & still have pain in my ankle daily.

After my accident I questioned often why God saved me. I wasn't walking with him & felt I had no reason for him to spare my life. It was common in my small farm town for kids to get in car accidents (a lot of the times with trees) & not make it, so why me?

I still don't have a clear answer except God wasn't done with me. He knew I would come back to him & walk with him stronger than ever. He knew the wonderful man I was going to marry & the kids I would have who would bring me so much joy. Even though it has been the hardest, most traumatic thing I have ever gone through, I am so thankful God saved me. This anniversary is one I no longer dread - it is one that reminds me how great our God is & to try to glorify him daily!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I remember when that happened, I just can't believe that it was that long ago. You have come so far. I don't know if you remember this but one time when my brother was going to George Fox and we were at your parents house, you smiled at Paul and then the next time you smiled you dropped your two temporary teeth out and through Paul off. It was hilarious. God has done amazing things in your life and I know that he continues to have wonderful blessings ahead for your life.

Anonymous said...

OK--you shouldn't make a girl cry! I'm so thankful that you are still here with us. That was honestly the worst day of my life...I think about all we would have missed out on. I also thought on this day...Wow! It has been 8 years. I love you and am so thankful that God had different plans for you than anyone expected.
I'm glad you are my sister! :)